Extended Learning Opportunity Program (ELO-P)
What is ELO-P?
The State of California Department of Education (CDE) has developed a plan for better serving the needs of our students and families with the introduction of the Extended Learning Opportunity Program. All school districts in the state are required to offer this program by the 2023-2024 school year.
CDE defines ELO-P as a before-school, after-school or non-school-day learning program which focuses on developing the academic, social, emotional, and physical needs and interests of pupils through hand-on, engaging learning experiences.
What are the ELO-P Program Requirements?
The California Department of Education (CDE) has identified specific requirements for districts implementing Extended Learning Programs. These requirements and district priorities are:
- When combined with the instructional day, the program must provide a 9 hour day for students.
- The program must offer enrichment opportunities that engage students and that are based on student interests.
- The program must be offered to all students in Transitional Kindergarten through grade 6 who are multi-lingual learners, foster youth, or those who qualify for free or reduced lunch.
- The program will be open to all students for a fee.
- Some students will be eligible for free tuition based on income. If you believe your family may qualify, please complete this free/reduced meal application.
- The program must be offered at each school site.
The program must be offered on 30 non-school days. For WCSD, the non-school days for 2023-2024 will be:
November 1, 2023 (Staff Development Day)
January 2, 3, 4, 5, 2024 (Winter Break)
February 15, 2024 (Staff Development Day)
April 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 2024 (Spring Break)
June 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 18, 20, 21, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 2024 (Closed June 19th)
How is ELO-P funded?
Funding is provided by the California Department of Education based on the number of students enrolled in the district who are multi-lingual learners, foster youth or those who qualify for free or reduced lunch. For the Walnut Creek School District, this amounts to approximately $1 million a year.
When will ELO-P begin?
Walnut Creek School District ELOP will begin August 16, 2023. Registration is now open. Click on your child's school and visit the provider website to register.
Where can I get more information?
For additional questions, please email:
Assistant Director of Educational Programs